Race Credit Poll

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by jcathie, Jul 14, 2018.

?

Do you want the club to allow credits for races you did not start?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2018.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jcathie

jcathie Member

At the July meeting Brett proposed the Rules Committee look into allowing credits for races registered for but not participated in. The rule of thumb is the Rules Committee is convened during the off-season to do their work on the Rule Book for the upcoming season.

I think the idea of credit for not participating in a race needs to be examined now (and IMHO implemented now) and not after this season is over.

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I know that I was personally frustrated by the race credit policy.

I had a new bike last year that I couldn't get running right. As soon as you turn a wheel in practice, you immediately lost the ability to get credit on any of the 3 classes that you had registered for, effectively flushing $250/day down the drain. The alternative is that you only register for one class, but if the bike is working right, then you can't add extra classes later.

IMO, a fair policy is that as soon as a wheel is turned, you lose your first class registration and medical, after that, a credit for each class that you didn't take the sighting lap for should be accumulated (i.e., if you crash on your way to grid up, tough, no refund/credit).

3. jcathie

jcathie Member

I think that would work but one of the prime reasons for the implementation was to eliminate those that would chicken out if the rain started falling. Now that we can see who has exited Pit Lane via the timing system, we have a record of everyone who has entered the track (as long as they have a working transponder). Between that and our physical notes we could have a fairly complete record of who has turned a wheel. Some sort of video camera would be the bee's knees for a foolproof record.

I can understand if you don't have rains, you blew up your motor or there's a physical ailment (i.e. that gas station sushi last night wasn't such a good idea) or the dog ate your suspension setup notes. I think it needs to be (unfortunately) a process that is subjective. A 'registrar' would review claims for credit on a case-by-case basis. Credits wouldn't be automatic; they'd have to be applied for (perhaps) with supporting documentation.

I had a short look at the WMRRA refund policy and on the surface it seems pretty straight forward.
    I would support it if the medical fee and (maybe) the first class was withheld. Medical fee for sure. Not so sure about the first class though. What if something prevents you from even going out in Practice much less a race?

There's lots of angles and I'm sure it won't make everyone happy but it should be discussed thoroughly and not jumped into hastily.

MSR does make it pretty darn easy to administer credits or even refunds. Anyone want to be a Registrar?