2019 Rulebook Proposals

Discussion in 'Rule Book Proposals' started by bigga_boy, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigga_boy

bigga_boy Livin' The Dream WMRC Exec

2019 Rulebook Proposals

With a great season in the books, we have to start looking at the 2019 season and that includes the rulebook.

Please put in your proposals here.
    rules are....
    1) Quote the section(s) and sub section to be edited
    2) If it is a "new" proposal, please include the section it would be submitted to
    3) The "wording" should be as accurate as possible

Thank you for your input!

Deadline for submissions will be November 15th 2018

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. jcathie

jcathie Member

Oh goody! :)

First, congrats to all the racers that came out and supported the club. Special thanks to all the volunteers who put the hours in to allow the racers to actually be on track.

I think we need to formalize Pit Lane access and how it is navigated.

The maximum speed allowed in pit lane is 40 kph. Those competitors who exceed a safe speed for the condition of the pit lane are subject to penalty. This regulation is not subject to protest or appeal.
    Speed limit may be monitored by radar.
    Suggested separation between bikes is 10 bike lengths when entering the track to allow Timing and Scoring to monitor passing vehicles for transponder operation.

No weaving or wheelies are allowed in the acceleration lane (pit lane).
    All crew members working in the pit area must be clean and fully clothed at all times during any track session. Shirts, long pants and closed-toe footwear are mandatory.
    Crew members shall not sit on the pit wall during any track session.
    A maximum of two (2) people per vehicle shall be permitted access to a designated location for the purpose of signalling during any track session. Signallers may not be at the signalling area until after the start of the session.
    Penalties range from a warning, loss of position, loss of lap(s), loss of fastest lap, disqualification, exclusion from the event, monetary fine not to exceed $1000.

3. bigga_boy

this one comes from our referee Joseph..
    just a clarification for the definition of a crash

Chapter 5 (first line, Definition)
    You will be deemed to have crashed if:
    a) both wheels are not on the ground but some other parts are.
    b) you need to get off or from under the fallen bike and pick it up to re-mount.
    c) the bike is upright and rolling but you are not on it.
    d) the handle bar touches the ground.

ducatigirl likes this.
  4. jcathie

jcathie Member

Or, like I suggested several years ago: If you have to stand on one side of your motorcycle to pick it up, you've crashed.

I don't know of anyone strong enough to straddle a motorcycle and pick it up off the ground.

5. Grant.Smith

Grant.Smith New Member

Lightweight Supersport Update

I propose to make the following changes to Section 7.4 Lightweight Supersport of the 2018 WMRC Rulebook:

Modify the fifth bullet to read "Up to 399cc twin cylinder 4-stroke".

Delete the sixth bullet in its entirety. The sixth bullet currently reads "2018 Kawasaki 400 is allowed under the following restrictions. No intake or exhaust modifications, no aftermarket fuel controllers, stock intake snorkel & exhaust restrictor must remain in place & unmodified."

While there was no hard data regarding the Ninja 400 performance at the time of writing the 2018 WMRC Rulebook, dyno runs have taken place this year that show the Ninja 400 staying within the 45 HP and 28 ft-lb DynoJet dynanometer criteria stated in the third bullet. These runs were conducted on a Ninja 400 that incorporated some of the restrictions currently listed in the sixth bullet.

While there may have been a concern that the Ninja 400 would render other bikes to be noncompetitive, the data does not support this concern.

6. bigga_boy

Chapter 16- Electronic Scoring
    rewording of 16.6

Transponders are already part of tech.
    i purpose adding....All motorcycles must carry a functioning transponder at all times while on the track, including practice. Failure to do so WILL result in being pulled from the track, loss of grid position, or disqualification at the discretion of race officials.

7. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

1) 8.15 The front fork externals must remain stock. Upper and lower triple clamps must remain stock

3) 8.15 The front fork externals must remain stock, fork caps may be changed. Upper and lower triple clamps must remain stock

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  8. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

1) 4.11 An event must have at least 4 racers starting for that event's points to count toward OVERALL season points total.

3) this does not need to be in section 4 (number plate requirements), move to strike it or relocate it to the correct section. Chapter 14 - Race Points

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

1) 4.2 The number plate must be securely and safely fastened to the machine in a manner deemed acceptable by the Chief Technical Inspector. The number plate must be rectangular, must be finished with the appropriate color with a non-glare surface and must extend a minimum of 1” past your numbers. Numbers must be at least 5 inches high and 1 inch wide, and be legibly displayed on the legal background number plate or the machine will fail the technical inspection: • Expert - black numbers on white background • Novice – Black numbers on a yellow background from 700 to 999 • Number plates may not have sharp edges or corners • Numbers should be painted on or be of the pre-cut, shop-bought adhesive variety. Each machine must have all plates and numbers attached in a “ready to race” fashion when presented for Technical Inspection.

3) 4.2 The number plate must be securely and safely fastened to the machine in a manner deemed acceptable by the Chief Technical Inspector. The number plate must be rectangular, must be finished with the appropriate color with a non-glare surface and must extend a minimum of 1” past your numbers. Numbers must be at least 5 inches high and 1 inch wide, and be legibly displayed on the legal background number plate or the machine will fail the technical inspection. In cases where there is lack of sufficient space to display legal sized numbers on both left and right sides of the motorcycle, smaller sized side number plates are allowed if, in addition, a single legal sized number plate is installed on the tail section. Effort should be taken to ensure that number plates are legible: • Expert - Solid black numbers on white background • Novice – Solid black numbers on a yellow background from 700 to 999 • Number plates may not have sharp edges or corners • Numbers should be painted on or be of the pre-cut, shop-bought adhesive variety. Each machine must have all plates and numbers attached in a “ready to race” fashion when presented for Technical Inspection.

10. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Chapter 7:
    Should these examples get updated?
    For further clarity, the following table highlights what class you should run in. This list is NOT exhaustive: • 1989 GSXR750 – FORMULA CLASSIC, MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPERBIKE • 1995 CBR600 F3 – OPEN NOVICE • 1992 GSX-R 1100 – OPEN NOVICE • 1989 RZ350 – FORMULA CLASSIC, MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPERBIKE • 1998 Ducati 748 – OPEN NOVICE • 2000 GSX-R 600 – OPEN NOVICE • 2010 Ninja 250 – 250 PRODUCTION/LIGHTWEIGHT SUPERSPORT • 1999 SV650 – MIDDLEWEIGHT TWINS/MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPERBIKE • 2003 SV Superbike - MIDDLEWEIGHT TWINS/MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPERBIKE • Maximum 88db.

11. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Likely to be unpopular but I have a suggestion for the F118 and F115 classes, making them a non-trophy class. With the possibility of providing trophies to those that break out for the first time. I believe the original spirit of those classes was to provide races for those that were not up to the pace of the expert classes, and give them the proper racing environment to push themselves. I feel like that was due to the elimination of the "Intermediate" rider classification. I was witness to a few racers attempting to ride a bit slower to "win" these classes and feel like that works against the idea of sportsmanship.

If these truly are just bracket races then fine, leave them as they are. I guess it teaches the graduated novices the value of consistency? Maybe the graduated novices could be exempt from the "no lap timer" rule so they could actively track their improvement?

12. Mel

Mel Road racer

Chapter 3, Section 3.2(a):
    - Consider adding a subsection iv which would read something to the effect of the following:
    "If you wish to have volunteer experience earned prior to the current or previous race season credited toward your Novice graduation requirements, you must discuss with your rider rep. prior to making a formal application for graduation."

Even though I said 'current or previous race season' here, if another length of time is deemed more suitable, I'm not fussy about that. I just believe that the requirements in this regard should be made more clear than they currently are.

13. jcathie

jcathie Member

The car people actually have Driver Log Books the Steward updates as necessary. I'm pretty sure those are a function of FIA/CASC requirements but I'm not really sure. I'm not so sure we need to go that far but we can certainly use MSR to track rider accomplishments in the Log Book for each member.

14. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Proposal to streamline the rider classifications in Chapter 3. I will happily work with whomever is charged with the task of re wording this section of the rulebook.

Currently we seem to have seen far too many complaints with regards to the graduation process and we should see if there is a way to simplify what we do. See the following for an example provided by one of our members:

Rider classifications:
    1: Novice – any rider competing in less than two years of consistent competition (more than three races per season) (black number, yellow plate, #700 or higher)
    2: Graduated Novice (aka GN - could be changed to Intermediate? Amateur?) – any rider graduated from Novice, yet not receiving enough season points to graduate to Expert (red numbers, white plates, any two or three digit numbers)
    3: Expert – any rider graduated from Graduated Novice, must compete in at least one event for every two competition seasons to maintain status or is reverted to GN (black numbers, white plates, any number except #1)
    Plate number 1 (white number and red plate, is reserved for previous years overall champion to wear at their discretion)

Graduation from Novice to GN – season points: 1st – 3rd in series mandatory advancement to GN. 4th and 5th placed riders, advancement is optional. – additional: Any rider winning three events within a season may petition to go to GN.

Graduation form GN to Expert – Season points: 1st – 3rd place season total in any category advancement is mandatory – additional – Any rider may petition to advance from amateur to pro any time after one full season as amateur

Demotion of classification: Any rider found by 3 executives or track officials (any combination) found to be riding in a dangerous or otherwise unsafe manor on multiple occasions (minimum two event days) can be asked to drop down to a lower rider classification until such time as their riding is deemed safe by 3 executives or track officials (any combination, cannot be the same three that demoted the rider)

15. jcathie

jcathie Member

So you're proposing we revert to the old Novice, Intermediate/Amateur, Expert/Pro classifications? I always wondered about the Novice, GN, Expert scheme. Never really saw the logic in changing it in the first place and now we want to go back.

For demotion of classification, I would suggest it read 'Event Officials' because if you look at the rulebook, there are specifically NO DUTIES for any Executive member on an event day. None. It's that way for a reason, too. They should be left alone and have an opportunity to race just like any other person. The officiating is meant to be left to the officials. A member of the Executive (acting in the capacity of a racer) could approach an Official (Referee, Race Director and/or Rider Rep) with their opinion, of course, but to actually pass judgement; leave it to the Officials. I don't think it would be necessary to require different Officials to judge reinstatement either, since they are impartial observers to start with. Their prime criterion would be the safety of the rider in question, then fellow competitors, event staff (marshalls, etc.) and the public.

My $0.02 worth.

16. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

I propose to make the following changes to Section 7.4 Lightweight Supersport of the 2018 WMRC Rulebook: and to Lightweight SuperBike.

Purpose that the New Tianda TRD300 bike which will be at the track for 2019 Season be allowed to run in 300 SuperSport, Lightweight Supersport and in Lightweight SuperBike. This Race bike out of the crate produces 29HP, is on 17 Inch Wheels and comparable to other bikes already in this class. Contact me for any details required.
    []

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.